Related Services

Related services are any services that are necessary to help a student benefit from her special education program. To “benefit from special education” has generally been interpreted to mean making meaningful progress toward meeting IEP goals and objectives.


The IDEA requires that the provision of services be driven by the child's needs and IEP goals. A related service may be added to the child's IEP if it is deemed necessary through assessment and the IEP process. Federal law requires that all related services be provided without any charge to the parent. 

California's Designated

Instruction and Services

In California, related services are often called "designated instruction and services" or "DIS." The list of related services available to children with IEPs in California includes the following:​

  • Orientation and mobility;

  • Audiological services;

  • Adaptive physical education

  • Instruction in the home or hospital;

  • Vision services;

  • Physical therapy;

  • Speech and language therapy;

  • Occupational therapy ;

  • Specialized driver training;

  • Counseling and guidance;

  • Psychological services;

  • Parent counseling and training;

  • Health and nursing services;

  • Social worker services;

  • Specially designed vocational education and career development;

  • Transcription services;

  • Transportation;

  • Assistive technology services;

  • Instructional aide services;

  • Travel training;

  • Behavior services;

  • Recreation services;

  • Specialized services for low-incidence disabilities;

  • Interpreting services.

When must a school district provide related services?

Under the law, a school district has to provide a student with special needs a related service only if the service is necessary for the child to benefit from educational instruction. For instance, if your child has trouble walking, running, and catching, your child may need physical therapy in order to benefit from their education. Or, if your child is nonverbal, your child may need specialized services, such as a computerized communication device and instruction in using the device in order to benefit from special education. Or, if your child cannot get to school on her own because of her physical or cognitive disability, the school district should offer your child transportation service in her IEP.

Couple Enjoying Outdoor
915 Highland Point Drive
Suite 250
Roseville, California
333 University Avenue
Suite 200
Sacramento, California
1901 Harrison Street
Suite 100
Oakland, California
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Tumblr Social Icon
  • Instagram

The information on the Caledattorney website is general information for California residents only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice or relied on for any individual case or situation.  We serve clients throughout California and  Northern California including Fresno, San Jose, PlacervilleStockton, Redding, Chico, Auburn, Grass Valley, Sacramento, Truckee, Marysville, Redding, San Francisco, Truckee, Elk Grove, Yuba City, EurekaSanta Rosa, Vacaville and Fairfield.

Molly Watson is available to meet with parents by Skype or FaceTime.


Serving exceptional children & their families